Pages

Thursday, November 28, 2013

"once in a blue lizard" also known as "the quilt that hates me"

well i have finally finished my quilt...took me 14 months...some tears...some not so nice words...as per my usual way of working i just launched off into sewing...i did have a idea in my head...not such i bright one now that i think of it...ok so i wanted to lizards to be crawling in different directions...so i sewed them onto rectangles and then cut and pieced those rectangles together...sound good right...wrong i ended up with a 84 inch bias seam from corner to corner...i could not get it to lay flat...enter the not so nice words... 
insert bad words now
trying to get it to lay flat...you can see that it never will

finally taped it to the floor and pined the borders on top...at least they were square...i then sewed them on top edge with a overcast stitch and trimmed the backside...ok so this is one not so square mess...
taped to the floor to get it as straight as possible

so i took it to my friend and we put it on her long arm got it as square and even as possible...stitched around each lizard and then i quilted it...now the borders are all wavy no really very wavy...so i quilted them at a angle to ease in the fullness...ah good feeling...that wasn't that bad...trimmed it square and what the heck all the threads popped back as the wool batting puffed up...ok boxed that thing up and hid it in a closet...finally decided to give it another go...sewed the edges down...took all the border quilting out and then requilted it...ah good feeling again...bought the binding fabric...folded it the wrong way and instead of having 40 inch long bias strips i had 20 inch long strips joined at a right angle...i then said bad words and threw everything in the corner...2 days and i got back at it...sewed the binding with many more joins then it should have had...sewed the binding on...ah good feeling...nope i was 12 inches short of binding...now down to very small 5 inch strips to make more...finished it up and hand sewed the binding along the back... finished finally except for the name change from
"once in a blue lizard" to "the quilt that hates me" what a challenge but i rose to meet it...


introducing "the quilt that hates me" 
 i really like the quilt now it is finished 

ok one to the next quilt...half way thru my next lizard quilt...

6 comments:

Linda said...

Well, for all your trouble it sure turned out amazing. So glad you like it after all that. I love it. I have one that is still crumpled up and out of my sight. Maybe I will get it out again.

Celia Ambrose said...

Thanks for sharing your quilt! It turned out really nice. I have one quilt I hated too, and I did the same thing, just threw it in a corner of the closet and eventually it went out to the garage. I found it when I moved. I think I will take it apart and make something else from the blocks. Your lizards are great.

Judy MacLeod said...

LOL! I call these "the Quilt from Hell". Insert whichever number after Hell... I'm glad you persevered, it's adorable!

What Comes Next? said...

it really seemed intent on not being finished! I'm glad you tamed it as it looks wonderful, with no sign of the troubles you had!

Caroline Heinrichs said...

Yep Sherry, the quilt from hell, we all have them.Lovely!

take care, Carli

Lin said...

A great finish Sherry - love it!